Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Standing Still

When life comes crashing down on us, the very last thing we
want to do is be still.  We want to "fix" the problems.  We
want to do something to make the pain go away.  We want
to take action now so that we can prevent things from
getting any worse.

Yet...these are the times when we cannot fix things.  We
cannot make everything go back to how it was before
the crises.  There are times when an unexpected illness
strikes.  A relationship is abruptly ended.  A loved one
dies.  And we are left totally broken.

This is when we need to be still.  Be still and listen.  Be
still and wait for our Comforter.  Be still and feel the very
presence of our Father wrapping His arms around us.  Be
still and hear to the voice of the One who truly loves us.
Be still and allow the seeds of hope to be nurtured back to life.

Are you in pain today?  Is your heart aching with loneliness?
Take some time away from the everyday activities of life and
simply be still.  As you are still, you will receive the much-
needed replenishment and hope you need to carry you
through the day!  Be still and be filled with hope! -Clara Hinton

This passage is from silentgrief.com.  I read the book, "Silent Grief", shortly after my miscarriage and still read her website occassionally. 
I read this today and really enjoyed it.  I often struggle with this and wanting to "fix" everything on my own.  It seems so easy to take things into my own hands, but in all reality, it's not I hope you find it encouraging in some way like I did.  Feel free to comment and let me know what you think.  I never know what my readers are thinking, or who you even are (besides my 8 followers) :)

"The ember of hope is always glowing within your soul." C. Hinton

2 comments:

Allyson said...

That was awesome steff! I am totally a "fixer!"

Anonymous said...

Stillness is much harder than fixing. If you can get lost in a flurry of activity you are just holding your feelings and emotions aloft and pushing them back to the back recesses of the mind, where they can't hurt you. In my experience, stillness allows those feelings to wash over you in waves of pain and sorrow and even anger. I think by not allowing yourself to feel that you(a general "you", not you personally) can push back the grieving process because you can't just banish those things. They will still be back there, waiting to be felt, ready to come when you let that guard of activity and busyness down. This at least seems to have been true in my past experiences.

Thanks for this passage, Steffany. You've really made me think. I'm hoping you get all of the stillness you need.